Saturday, August 14, 2010

The First Day of the Rest of my Life!

I have been riding horses for the past 17 years. I own a beautiful 20 year old percheron/thoroughbred gelding named Liberty. He is the love of my life and we have been together for the past 13 years.

When I was younger I took lessons every week, sometimes twice a week. I showed regularly and I was in great physical riding shape.But 5 years ago when I left for college all of that changed. I've been through 3 different barns in the last 5 years, I stopped taking regular lessons, or really any lessons at all, and I stopped showing except for maybe one or 2 shows every other year.

Then a year and a half ago I hurt my back. I got run down by a 2 year old warmblood colt and got thrown into a wooden tack trunk. I hit the corner of the trunk with the center of my lower back, I came out of it with 2 herniated discs in my lower back and a bone chip that was pinching a nerve and required surgery. I wasn't allowed to do any real kind of physical activity for over 5 months, and I gained a lot of weight! Weight that I am still having trouble getting off.

I am so sick of being out of shape and over weight and not able to ride like I used to be able to. Last week I made the decision to move Liberty to a new barn, a wonderful barn called Whisper Wind Farm. It's a very active lesson and show barn and I will finally once again begin taking lessons regularly and showing regularly.

I am creating this blog to begin documenting all the horsey news in my life. Now that I am at a new barn and have new goals, this will truly be the first day of the rest of my life, for both me and Liberty!

Me and Liberty

2 comments: